The University of the Cumberlands (UC) Patriot Men and Women's Swim Teams were in action this weekend at the Mid-South Conference (MSC) Invitational at Lindsey Wilson College in Columbia, Kentucky. The Patriots dominated the competition from the start and came away with the victory on both sides. The UC Men's team scored a total of 343 points, earning 1st place over runner up Lindsey Wilson by a 136 point margin. The Patriot ladies finished with a score of 210, edging out 2nd place LWC by 24 points.
First place finishes for the Patriots include:
• Lucy Gregory (Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom): 500 Yard Free – 5:19.76 (meet record)
• Greg Olson (Fortson, GA): 500 Yard Free – 4:52.12
• Marc Tahull (Barcelona, Spain): 200 Yard IM – 1:56.57 (meet record)
• Lizzy Horn (Wheat Ridge, CO): 50 Yard Free – 25.20
• Dillon Cleavenger (Camarillo, CA): 50 Yard Free – 22.01 (meet record)
• Kayleigh Botill (Corcoran, CA): 100 Yard Free – 1:11.64
• Charlotte Parent (Braine-l'allaud, Belgium): 100 Yard Back – 58.56 (meet record)
• Joe Brinkman (Commerce Township, MI): 100 Yard Back – 53.19 (meet record)
• Igor Dozortsev (Moscow, Russia): 100 Yard Fly – 52.92 (meet record)
• Grace Van Ryckegham (Franklin, TN): 200 Yard Free – 2:00.89 (meet record)
• Women's 200 Yard Freestyle Relay: Jordyn Hammett (Bakersfield, CA), Botill, Peplinski, and Parent – 1:41.07
• Men's 200 Yard Freestyle Relay: Rasmussen, Cesar Martins (Uberlandia, Brazil), Nicholas Alves (Brazil), and Jordan Gramling (Cape Giradeau, MO) – 1:29.23
• Women's 400 Yard Medley Relay: Horn, Botill, Parent, and Van Ryckegham – 4:10.52
• Men's 400 Yard Medley Relay: Brinkman, Kyle Marsh (Boise, ID), Jaime Arevalo (Cochabamba, Bolivia), and Brendan Tirado (Dayton, OH) – 3:42.67
UC Head Coach Eric Skelly commented, "I am very proud of both the men and women's teams right now. For us to pick up another victory for both teams is a good accomplishment. In addition, we had a few new national qualifiers. We are poised to do some great things in Oklahoma City in three weeks at NAIA Nationals."
The Patriots will now take their talents to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma as they participate in the NAIA National Championships. First swims will be on March 5th and will continue through March 8th.
For more information on the Patriot Swimming programs along with other Patriot athletics, please visit www.cumberlandspatriots.com.