This past weekend, the University of the Cumberlands (UC) Patriot swim teams traveled to Oklahoma City, OK to compete in the 2012-2013 NAIA National Championships. The Patriots wrapped up their season in an extraordinary fashion.
The women's team came home with one national champion in sophomore Charlotte Parent (Braine-l'allaud, Belgium) in the 200 yard IM with a time of 2:05.30. The women's team also had 12 All-Americans and Honorable Mention All-Americans while the men's team had 7. Head coach Eric Skelly was voted the NAIA Women's Coach of the Year. The men's team placed 6th out of 16 teams with a score of 254.5 points while the women placed 3rd out of 18 teams with a score of 367.
The top performers on the women's team are as follows:
- Charlotte Parent - 200 IM - National Champion (2:05.30), 100 yard butterfly - 3rd place – (56.71- All-American), 200 yard backstroke - 4th place (2:03.72- All-American)
- Elizabeth Horn (Wheat Ridge, CO) - 200 yard IM - 6th place (2:11.11), 100 yard backstroke - 8th place (59.66), 200 yard backstroke - 7th place (2:09.55)
- Elizabeth Horn, Kaleigh Botill (Corcoran, CA), Charlotte Parent, and Melissa Peplinski (Spokane Valley, WA) - 200 medley relay - 3rd place (1:46.19- New school record and All-American)
- Melissa Peplinski- 50 yard free - 4th place (24.13- All-American), 100 yard breaststroke - 2nd place (1:04.53- All-American), 100 freestyle - 6th place (52.87)
- Melissa Peplinski, Grace Van Ryckeghem (Franklin, TN), Felicia Williamson (Vancouver, WA), and Charlotte Parent - 800 meter freestyle relay - 4th place (7:51.68- All-American)
- Elizabeth Davis (Van Wert, OH) - 1 meter diving - 5th place (166.75 points-Honorable Mention All-American)
- Kaleigh Botill, Elizabeth Horn, Charlotte Parent, and Melissa Peplinski - 200 yard freestyle relay - 4th place (1:37.38- All-American)
- Elizabeth Horn, Melissa Peplinski, Charlotte Parent, and Kaleigh Botill - 400 yard medley relay - 2nd place (3:55.23- All-American)
- Grace Van Ryckeghem - 1650 yard freestyle - 3rd place (17:22.15- All-American), 200 butterfly - 7th place (2:12.69), 500 yard freestyle - 5th place (5:06.75- Honorable Mention All-American)
- Melissa Peplinski, Anna Clayton (Princeton, KY), Kaleigh Botill, and Charlotte Parent - 400 yard freestyle relay - 5th place (3:33.97- Honorable Mention All-American).
Top performers on the men's team are as follows:
- Zach Johnson (Ashland, KY), Samuel Huntley (Littleton, CO), Jordan Gramling (Cape Giradeau, MO), and Ricardo Moscoso (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - 200 yard medley relay - 5th place (1:32.79- New school record and Honorable Mention All American), 200 yard freestyle relay - 5th place (1:24.14- New school record and Honorable Mention All American), 400 yard medley relay - 3rd place (3:24.39- New school record and All-American), 400 yard freestyle relay - 6th place (3:08.17)
- Ricardo Moscoso, Adam Block (Norris, TN), Joseph Brinkman (Commerce Township, MI), and Samuel Huntley - 800 meter freestyle relay - 5th place (6:55.35- Honorable Mention All-American)
- Joseph Brinkman - 400 yard IM - 5th place (4:07.75- Honorable Mention All American)
- Jordan Gramling - 100 yard butterfly - 8th place (51.25)
- Samuel Huntley - 100 yard breaststroke - 7th place (57.42- New school record), 200 yard breaststroke - 8th place (2:07.71)
- Zach Johnson - 100 yard backstroke - 3rd place (50.58- New school record and All-American), 200 yard backstroke - 3rd place (1:50.46- All-American)
"Both teams performed outstanding this weekend," said Coach Skelly. "The men and women finished extremely well finishing the highest they have in several years. For the women, this equals the highest any UC swim team has ever finished. I couldn't be more proud of these two programs."
For more information on swimming, Patriot Athletics, or complete results from the NAIA National Championships, please visit www.cumberlandspatriots.com.
Article provided by Becci Holcomb, UC Multimedia and Athletic Services Student Assistant