On Saturday, the University of the Cumberlands (UC) men and women's swim teams traveled to Campbellsville, KY to take on Campbellsville University. Both teams did extremely well as they coasted to big victories. The Patriot ladies took home a 119-59 victory while the men won by a score of 108-11.
The Patriots earned many 1st place finishes on the women's side including:
• Anna Clayton (Princeton, KY), Jordyn Hammett (Bakersfield, CA), Taylor Clouse (Owensboro, KY), and Natalia Garrote (Velverde, Spain) - 200 meter medley relay - 2:14.13
• Melissa Peplinksi (Spokane Valley, WA) - 1500 meter freestyle - 19:11.26, 100 meter backstroke - 1:13.32
• Natalia Garrote - 200 meter freestyle - 2:14.07
• Kaleigh Botill (Corcoran, CA) - 50 meter freestyle - 29.19
• Elizabeth Horn (Wheat Ridge, CO) - 200 meter IM - 2:38.60
• Grace Van Ryckeghem (Franklin, TN) - 100 meter butterfly - 1:10.07
• Anna Clayton - 100 meter freestyle - 1:02.45
• Marie Von Hertsenberg (Cincinnati, OH), Hanna Wright (Corbin, KY), Natalia Garrote, and Anna Clayton - 200 meter freestyle - 2:02.51
First place finishes on the men's side were as follows:
• Kyle Marsh (Spokane, WA), Samuel Huntley (Littleton, CO), David De Benito (Badajoz, Spain), and Ricardo Moscoso (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - 200 meter medley relay - 1:54.63
• Greg Olsen (Fortson, GA) - 1500 meter freestyle - 17:47.54, 200 meter freestyle - 1:59.71
• Zach Johnson (Ashland, KY) - 50 meter freestyle - 26.71
• Adam Block (Norris, TN) - 200 meter IM - 2:26.50
• Samuel Huntley - 100 meter butterfly - 1:04.79
• Ricardo Moscoso - 100 meter freestyle - 55.90
• Kyle Marsh- 100 meter backstroke 1:09.45
• Gennadiy Mashalyar (Moscow, Russia) - 400 meter freestyle - 4:31.21
• Clay Cyrus (Morehead, KY) - 100 meter breaststroke - 1:13.69
• Adam Block, Ricardo Moscoso, Elliott Fenton (Franklin, TN), and David De Benito - 200 meter freestyle relay - 1:44.23
Head Coach Eric Skelly commented, "This was a solid finish to the semester. We are excited to see what the rest of the season holds for us."
The Patriots will be back in action on January 18th at Centre College in Danville, KY. Swims will begin at 6:00 pm.
For more information on the Patriot swim teams as well as other Patriot athletics, please visit www.cumberlandspatriots.com.
Article provided by Becci Holcomb, UC Multimedia and Athletic Services Student Assistant