This past weekend the University of the Cumberlands (UC) Men and Women's swim teams traveled to The University of the South to compete in the Sewanee Invite. Both teams did well despite some troubles. Head coach Eric Skelly commented "We swam a little sluggish but overall I'm happy with our swimmers. We finished second at this meet last year and we wanted to reclaim the meet title. We have a lot still to do this season but we are moving in the right direction."
The Men and Women's teams both finished first winning 23 of 46 events and set several meet records.
The men's team scored 924 points overall with the first place finishes as follows:
The women's team scored 981.5 points overall with the first place finishes as follows:
- Lizzy Horn, Melissa Peplinski, Charlotte Parent, and Anna Clayton- 100 yard Medley Relay 51.74 (New Meet Record)
- Kaliegh Botill, Callie Ethington, Natalia Garrote, Felicia Williamson-100 Yard Free Relay 47.60
- Charlotte Parent - 50 Backstroke 28.71, 50 Butterfly (New meet record) 27.05, 100 Backstroke 59.92, 100 Butterfly (new meet record) 59.16
- Anna Clayton - 100 Individual Medley (New Meet Record) 1:02.14
- Grace Van Ryckeghem - 1650 Free 18:05.94, 500 Free (Meet Record) 5:18.88, 200 Free 1:59.64
- Liz Davis - 1 Meter Diving 196.65 points
- Lizzy Horn, Melissa Peplinski, Charlotte Parent, Anna Clayton - 200 Yard Medley Relay (New Meet record) 1:52.31
- Natalia Garrote, Kaleigh Botill, Callie Ethington, Felicia Williamson-200 Yard Free Relay 1:59.64
UC will be back home this weekend on November 10th as they host King College and Milligan College for a meet. Swims are scheduled to begin at 1:00 pm.
For more information on the swimming program and Patriot athletics, please visit www.cumberlandspatriots.com.
Article provided by Rebecca Holcomb, UC Multimedia & Athletic Services Student Assistant