The University of the Cumberlands (UC) Men and Women's Swim teams hosted Union College on Saturday, October 6th. After many close races, both the men and the women's teams came out ahead earning victories over the Bulldogs. The women's team won 10 out of 11 events, earning 120 points to Union's 40. On the men's side, the Patriots won 4 out of 11 events and beat Union College 105-100.
First place winners for the Patriots include:
- Women's 200 yard Medley Relay (1:51.36) - Lizzy Horn (Wheat Ridge, CO), Melissa Peplinski (Spokane Valley, WA), Anna Clayton(Princeton, KY), Natalia Garrote (Velverde, Spain)
- Grace Van Ryckeghem (Franklin, TN) - 1000 yard free (10:44.89)
- Charlotte Parent (Braine-I'allaud, Belgium) - 200 yard free ( 1:57.71); 100 fly (58.82)
- Felicia Williamson (Vancouver, WA) - 50 yard free (25.67)
- Anna Clayton - 200 IM (2:15.56)
- Joe Brinkman (Commerce Township, MI) - 200 yard IM (2:01.09); 500 Free (5:01.18)
- Elliot Fenton (Franklin, TN) - 100 yard fly (53.93)
- Lizzy Horn - 100 yard back (1:01.85)
- Zach Johnson (Ashland, KY) - 100 yard back (54.86)
- Marie Von Hertsenburg (Cincinnati, OH) - 500 yard free (5:55.34)
- Melissa Peplinski - 100 yard breast (1:09.06)
- Women's 400 yard freestyle Relay (3:48.10) - Felicia Williamson, Hanna Wright (Corbin, KY), Grace Van Ryckeghem, and Charlotte Parent
- Men's 400 yard freestyle relay (3:16.98) - Elliot Fenton, Joe Brinkman, Zach Johnson, and Ricardo Moscoso (Rio de Janeiro)
Head Coach Eric Skelly commented, "We kicked off the season really well in this meet. We have some areas we need to improve, but I feel like we are faster than we were a year ago at this time."
Several Patriots in the first meet of the year have already qualified for the NAIA Nationals including Anna Clayton in the 200 IM, Elizabeth Horn in the 100 Backstroke, Zach Johnson in the 100 Backstroke, Charlotte Parent in the 200 Freestyle & 100 Butterfly, Melissa Peplinski in the 100 Breaststroke, and Felicia Williamson in the 50 & 100 Freestyle.
UC will be on the road on October 13th to take on Xavier University in Cincinnati, OH.
For more information on the swimming program and Patriot athletics, please visit www.cumberlandspatriots.com.
Article Provided by Becci Holcomb, UC Multimedia & Athletic Services Student Assistant