Sun, Feb. 12, 2012 - [Swimming]
On Saturday, February 11th, the University of the Cumberlands (UC) Men and Women's swim teams hosted their final home meet with a double-duel against Berea College and Campbellsville University at the Dinah Taylor Aquatic Center. It was a day full of excitement with it being the final meet, the Patriot seniors being honored, and last minute cuts being made to qualify for nationals.
Both Patriot teams prevailed with the men winning (131-35) against Berea and the women winning (144-26) against the Campbellsville Tigers and (146-30) against Berea.
First Place finishes for the Patriots include:
- Women's 200 Yard Medley Relay (2:11.00) - Erin Hammond (Barbourville, KY), Lizzy Horn (Wheat Ridge, CO), Allie Williams (Liberty, KY), Callie Ethington (Bardstown, KY)
- Men's 200 Yard Medley Relay (1:42.89) - Kyle Marsh (Spokane, WA), Joshua Moore (Rineyville, KY), Joe Brinkman (Commerce Township, MI), Wes Miller (Largo, FL)
- Women's 200 Yard Freestyle Relay (1:53.21) - Allie Williams, Erin Hammond, Mellisa Peplinksi (Spokane Valley, WA), Charlotte Parent (Braine-l'allaud, Belgium)
- Men's 200 Yard Freestyle Relay (1:30.81) - Wes Miller, Joshua Moore, Sam Huntley (Littleton, CO), Jordan Bridges (Tucson, AZ)
- Katie Osborne (Lexington, KY)- 1650 Free (19:08.60), 400 IM (5:03.56)
- Greg Olson (Fortson, GA)- 1650 Free (16:54.66), 500 Free (4:53.19)
- Wes Miller (Largo, FL)- 200 Free (1:48.32)
- Allison Greenwell (Louisville, KY)- 100 Back (1:06.24), 500 Free (5:54.88)
- Allie Williams (Liberty, KY)- 100 Breast (1:26.90)
- Clay Cyrus (Morehead, KY)- 100 Breast (1:02.86), 200 Breast (2:18.23)
- Charlotte Parent (Braine-l'allaud, Belgium)- 50 Free (24.88), 200 Back (2:10.77)
- Jared McPherson (Kingston, TN)- 50 Free (22.47), 100 Butterfly (1.00.17)
- Sean Ryan (Novi, MI)- 100 Free (51.49)
- Hanna Wright (Corbin, KY)- 100 Butterfly (1:02.74)
"I am happy we've made some national cuts," said Head Swimming Coach Eric Skelly. "We have a few more weeks until we head to nationals at Oklahoma City, and it should be a good meet."
As the season comes to an end, the men finished with a record of 4-9 and the women 5-9. This meet concluded the regular season for the Patriots; however, those who qualified will be competing in the NAIA National Championship in Oklahoma, OK on February 29th.
For more information on the swimming program and all other Patriot athletics, visit http://www.cumberlandspatriots.com.
Article Provided by Katie Betourne, UC Multimedia and Athletic Services Student Assistant