Sun, Jan. 15, 2012 - [Swimming]
On Friday January 13th, the University of the Cumberlands (UC) Men and Women's swim and dive teams participated in a dual with Lindsey Wilson College and Campbellsville University. Both teams won in dominating fashion in Columbia, KY on Friday night. The women's team won over both Lindsey Wilson (64-30) and Campbellsville (68-19) while the men's team defeated Lindsey Wilson (120-63).
Winners for the Patriots include:
- Women's 200 Medley Relay (1:57.67) – Allison Greenwell (Louisville, KY), Lizzy Horn (Wheat Ridge, CO), Hanna Wright (Corbin, KY), Callie Ethington (Bardstown, KY)
- Greg Olsen (Fortson, GA) -1000 Free (10:41.86) & 500 Free (5:08.96)
- Melissa Peplinski (Spokane Valley, WA) –200 Free (2:00.56) & 100 Free (57.15)
- Sam Huntley (Littleton, CO) –200 Free (1:49.78) & 200 Breaststroke (2:20.82)
- Lizzy Horn (Wheat Ridge, CO) – 50 Free (25.79)
- Wes Miller (Largo, FL) –50 Free (22.49) & 200 Backstroke (1:59.67)
- Charlotte Parent (Braine-l'allaud, Belgium) –200 IM (2:12.82)
- Joe Brinkman (Commerce Township, MI) -200 IM (2:02.17)
- Allison Greenwell (Louisville, KY) -200 Backstroke (2:21.28)
- Men's 200 Free Relay (1:33.10) –Jared McPherson (Kingston, TN), Sean Ryan (Novi, MI), Kyle Marsh (Spokane, WA), Sam Huntley (Littleton, CO)
Patriots Head Coach Eric Skelly commented, "We had a great training trip and coming off a good week of practice, I was very happy with how we performed. We had some athletes set season and career best times."
Charlotte Parent (Braine-l'allaud, Belgium) was an automatic qualifier for the 50 Free, 500 Free, as well as the 200 IM. Wes Miller (Largo, FL) also qualified nationally in the 200 Backstroke. Other swimmers to qualify for the NAIA National Bonus were Joe Brinkman (Commerce Township, MI) in the 200 Free, John Leistner (Ashland, KY) in the 200 Butterfly, and Callie Ethington (Bardstown, KY) in the 100 Free.
The Patriots will host Centre College for their next competition on Friday, January 20th. For more information on the swimming program and all other Patriot athletics, visit http://www.cumberlandspatriots.com.
Article Provided by Annie Bailey, University of the Cumberlands Multimedia and Athletic Services Student Assistant