The 2011-2012 University of the Cumberlands (UC) Men's Wrestling team officially put a close on their season by hosting their end of the year banquet on Friday, April 27th. The banquet serves as a final thank you to the team and all of the people who support the program.
"The end of the year banquet is one of my favorite times because I get to thank everybody for the unbelievable effort they show on a daily basis," said Head Coach Matt Lowers. "It provides a chance to reflect on the season and celebrate the hard work put in by everybody."
After being served a catered dinner, Lowers addressed the team, fans and parents who were in attendance. "It's important for me to not only review the season but to review the fundamental principles that guide our program at events like this. Some of the things we visit about on a daily basis are dedication, discipline, sacrifice, hard work, accountability and responsibility. Our mission is to provide these young men with the tools needed to excel in all aspects of their life."
The first awards given out were the team academic awards. The team fell just outside the Top 10 in the NAIA Academic standings. The 2011-2012 overall GPA was 3.01, while the tenth place team in the NAIA boasted a 3.02 GPA. "Our team has made great strides in academics the past two years, we were disappointed we were not in the top 10, but we are confident that we will be there next season."
Below is a listing of the awards winners from the 2011-2012 season:
- Ironman Individual Champion: Andrew Tillman
- MSC Academic All-Conference: Zack Barkett, Derek Murdock
- National Qualifiers: Larone Madison, Grant Burkhalter, Landon Burkhalter, Jered Medina, Derek Murdock, Anthonie Linares, Zack Barkett, Jeremy Gardner, Courtney Freeman, Vince Pezzuto
- MSC Wrestler of the Week: Larone Madison (2X winner), Jered Medina
- MSC All Conference: Larone Madison
- MSC Freshman of the Year: Anthonie Linares
- Most Falls Award: Courtney Freeman and Larone Madison (9 falls apiece)
- Redshirt Award: Andrew Tillman
- Captains Award: Larone Madison, Zack Barkett, Jered Medina, Derek Murdock
- Freshman GPA Award: Grahm Smith (3.79 GPA)
- Upperclass GPA Award: Zack Barkett (3.88 GPA)
- Most Courageous Award: Jered Medina, Peter Martinez
- Excellence in Everything Award: Jeremy Gardner
- 20 Wins Club: Zack Barkett
- 25 Wins Club: Anthonie Linares
- 35 Wins Club: Larone Madison
- MVP Freshman: Anthonie Linares
- Most Valuable Wrestler-Larone Madison
- Most Outstanding Wrestler-Anthonie Linares
- Champion of Character awarded by NAIA-Larone Madison
- Daktronics Scholar Athlete-Zack Barkett
- All-American Awards-Larone Madison, Anthonie Linares
"I felt great about this year's banquet," said Lowers. "It is very satisfying to see all of our student-athletes being recognized for their athletic and academic honors. They worked very hard this year and are most deserving. It is also great to be able to have one last goodbye for our seniors. We were blessed with three outstanding seniors this year and we are sad to see them leave. Jered Medina, Peter Martinez and Larone Madison were outstanding leaders for us"
For more information on the Patriot Men's Wrestling program along with other Patriot athletics, please visit www.cumberlandspatriots.com.